This congress, organised by the Federal Ministry of Justice in cooperation with the Federal Chancellery, the Council of Europe and the EU with the support of the Austrian Federal Computing Centre, is taking place in the Vienna Hofburg from 31.5 to 2.6. More than 400 experts in the field of legal information from 30 countries are attending the congress.
The speakers come from 12 different countries, including A, D, UK, USA, I, F.
The specialist lectures cover the following areas:
- Solutions for payment order systems
- Solutions for court automation, land and business register, court publications - court decisions
- Solutions for electronic communication between courts, parties, organisations and institutions
- Authentic publication of law and workflow of law making and other solutions for legal information systems
The following Austrian judicial applications are being presented at the congress:
- Court automation: supports all courts and public prosecution services in record-keeping in 47 cases so far.
Parts of proceedings, e.g. payment order proceedings, are automatically generated and processed through a central mailing system. Petitions and settlements are communicated electronically and legal fees collected by non-cash transfer.
- Business register: stores the data of all companies required to register. Public access through the clearing house and through the European Business Register outside Austria.
Conversion of the document collection to electronic archiving was concluded in July 2005.
- Land register: computer-assisted record-keeping since the beginning of the 1980s; external consultation since 1986, via Internet since 1999 through the clearing houses.
- Legal publications on the Internet: the decisions database on the Internet was created in 1999 to avoid expensive publications in the print media and on the court notice boards. Consultation is free of charge for the public.
- Fee collection: this IT solution supports the collection nation-wide of court fees, costs, all kinds of fines, advances on maintenance payments and the grant of payment relief.
- Integrated administration of the penal system: aimed at providing comprehensive IT support for administration of the prison population, in particular prisoners’ records, administration of prison facilities, planning and administration of transfers and automatic calculation of the end of prison sentences and all other pertinent dates.
- Advances on maintenance payments: this IT solution supports the higher regional courts in paying and collecting advances on maintenance payments and was the first IT application developed in the justice system.