OSCE Permanent Council No. 603
EU RESPONSE TO PROJECT CO-ORDINATOR IN UKRAINE
- The European Union would like to welcome Ambassador Schumaker to the Permanent Council and thanks him for his thorough report.
- The EU was pleased to hear Ambassador Schumaker's positive comments about the co-operation he enjoys with the Ukrainian authorities, in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. This illustrates the value of an effective OSCE presence supporting a host country intent on implementing democratic reforms. We are satisfied that the Project Co-ordinators' Office is active in all three dimensions, and that its activity is expanding.
- The EU values Ukraine as a key neighbour and partner of strategic importance. We are looking forward to further developing our good co-operation with Ukraine within the framework of the European Neighbourhood Policy and through the implementation of the ambitious Action Plan adopted in February 2005. Our good working relationship here in Vienna as well as in the field is evidence of this.
- The EU is impressed at the scale of work undertaken by the Project Co-ordinator’s Office, in co-operation with Ukrainian partners, on election reform. The positive preliminary report from the international election monitoring mission suggests that this has contributed to the good conduct of the 26 March parliamentary election.
- As in any developing economy, job and business creation is vital. We were therefore very interested to hear about the Local Economic development project, which has helped create more than 800 new businesses and 1100 new jobs, and are encouraged to learn that this project will be expanded.
- The EU also welcomes the Democratisation and good governance programme, which assists Ukrainian authorities at all levels establish transparent and accountable institutions, including a focus on the role of civil society and gender equality.
- Under the rule of law programme, we welcome the activities in the justice sector. We note the support for the creation of an administrative justice system and would encourage further developments, also in other areas of the justice sector. We believe that the fight against corruption and organized crime are among the priorities that have been stated by the Ukrainian government and would encourage exploration of programmes of the Project Coordinator’s Office in this area.
- The EU thanks Ambassador Schumaker for the project proposals for the clean up of Novobohdanivka ammunition explosion site and the disposal of toxic rocket fuel supplies (Melange). We shall study both proposals carefully.
- In closing, the European Union congratulates Ambassador Schumaker and his colleagues for a job well done, and encourages him to continue in the same vein.
The Acceding Countries Bulgaria and Romania, the Candidate Countries Turkey, Croatia* and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia*, the Countries of the Stabilisation and Association Process and potential candidates Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Montenegro, EFTA countries Iceland a member of the European Economic Area, as well as the Republic of Moldova align themselves with this declaration.
*Croatia and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia continue to be part of the Stabilisation and Association Process